Thursday, March 29, 2012

"My Stuff"

Since I discovered that there is a condition called compulsive hoarding, I have been making observations around my life and when talking to others with similar problems.  In this time I've grown to LOATH the phrase "my stuff." 

'My stuff' is so many things.  It is a way to declare that you have a hoard in a publicly acceptable manner.  It is a way provide value to things that are virtually worthless.  It gives permission to ignore others' advice about things that 'aren't theirs.'  But more than anything else, it is the equivalent of the 5 year old favorite, 'MINE!'

I've come to recognize 'my stuff' as a buzzword for hoarders.  You don't have to know what all is in your stuff to refer to it as 'my stuff.'  You just have to know that it is in that general area over there.  It's proximity to your property is what makes it 'my stuff.'  Need something; I'll look through, 'my stuff.'  I know I have it, I just have to dig it out of 'my stuff.'  You can't go through 'my stuff.'  You have no idea what is valuable, so don't touch 'my stuff.'  I know where it is, just let me go through 'my stuff.'

I've seen it in people that I talk to. I've seen it on shows like Hoarders, Clean Sweep, Oprah, and others.  Oh sweet mercy have I seen it in Hoarder and Momma Hoarder.  If you want to know if someone is leaning toward having a hoarding problem, listen for the term 'my stuff.'  The loose or occasional use of the phrase 'my stuff' don't necessarily mean anything, but when there is ANY level of passion behind the phrase it is no good at all.  Don't confuse 'my stuff' with any of the following:  my junk, my fishing stuff, my sewing stuff, my stereo stuff, my storage unit, my garage, etc.  In my experience, anything that denigrates the value of the stuff, or specifies a small collection of things rather than a collection of everything indicates that their mess is orderly and under control.  'My stuff' is bad.  Bad, bad, bad.

Bad

Really Bad.

:::shivers:::

No comments:

Post a Comment